January 24, 2013

Wes Week! Big bro rocks Cameroon like a champ

Wes was my one brave visitor during my Peace Corps service, and it was a bro/sis week I won't soon forget : ) Amazing to be able to share what I'd been doing and how I'd been living for two years, and near the end of my service when I could properly own it! Volunteers who have family come 6 months in, I don't know how you do it! Special to share some things that would be beautiful and meaningful to anyone, and eye-opening to realize the many small things about my world in Cameroon that can never mean to anyone else what they mean to me...and that's the way it should be!
Wes's first day, first moto ride across town! Upside down US flag just a coincidence : ) We're just down the path from my house here. Glad the week started off with some gorgeous clear weather...ease Wes into it : )
Behind my friend Hortense's house - this shallow river floods when it rains and can trap people working in their fields on the hills, so they rush to cross and get home before it starts raging. On the other side tropical fields are dug into the hillsides- they grow things like peanuts, potatoes, yams, cocoa, coffee. We were led on a beautiful Sunday evening walk guided by my 9 year old rock star buddy Alex.
My colleague at the hospital and TOUGH cookie role model, Hortense
Wes was quickly a huge hit with the kiddos!
Market in Nkongsamba, where I bought veggies, clothes, kitchen utensils, broom, flip flops, spices...
Loved getting to share this spot with family! One hour from my house (but not a cinch to get to!)...my sanctuary.
Nothing that wasn't worth going through for this. We are getting totally soaked by the spray! 
New day, new outing. Hiking the crater lakes in Bangem, which has one of the highest rainfall totals in Africa...and we're soon to get a taste. 
Wes is shocked, I'm not : ) One of the reasons it's not too crowded with tourists (ie not a SOUL)
Red Rover, send Uncle WES right over! These kids are TOUGH and totally loved the physical chaos and rough housing! The "centre social" (reintegration center/orphanage) where I did some of my favorite programs - my oasis/second home in the tiny village of Ntolo.
Walk through the bush to see the kids' school. They loved having him there as much as I did!



No comments:

Post a Comment